Parenting in the Digital Age


I never really thought about this until my sons complained that I share too much about them on Facebook.

Every time there are little successes and upsets in the family, they would go, "Don't post it on Facebook, Ma." Or "Don't tag me on Facebook, Ma."

So, I checked myself.

I refrain from sharing about them too much on my Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. But on occasions that I really feel the urge to do a selfie or selfwe with them, I am guilty of coercing and even bribing them. But yesterday, when we were in the cinemas to watch Big Hero 6, no bribing could make them have a selfie or photo with Baymax, lol.

However, since I have this blog and I have a Facebook Page of this blog, I tell them that I may sometimes have to post about them. They understand, all right... sometimes.

There is more to parenting in the digital age than just posting photos and sharing stories of your kids and family online. Like any undertaking, there are good and the bad sides to it.

The good - having a support group

The good is that you have a community of parents sharing tips and tricks on parenting. You learn a lot from other moms or parents about how to handle health issues like which medicine/vitamins to take, which doctor/hospital to go. Or if a parent posts about school concerns, other parents who had experienced the same would offer some advice. It's a fun learning activity online, actually. If a parent or a family is going through something difficult, you also have a whole community praying for you. That can mean a lot.

The bad - security and privacy of family members

The downside is the concern about security. Many parents have raised concerns about their kids being too exposed, and thus may be open to any form of abuse or exploitation.

Then there's the side from the kids. Especially, if you have teenagers, when the kids are in their awkward stage, sharing them with family and strangers (let's face it, our online friends may be strangers to them) could be embarrassing to them. Besides, I think as a general rule, kids really feel uncomfortable when parents gush about them. It could pose an undue pressure on them to be always in their best behavior, to be always the best that they can be. Nothing wrong with encouraging our children to be the best, but some kids may react differently.

After weighing the pros and cons, I believe it is really up to you to assess how your family and kids feel about it. As parents, we always consider our family's best intentions.

The ugly - envy among peers

This may sound delusional, but yeah, there are people who get envious of what they see on other people's social media updates and it fuels gossip and creates controversy all the time. I say, this new media is only for the mature!


Posted by Meikah Ybañez-Delid
Like this post? Subscribe here.
Be social and click on the icons below.

0 comments

Share your thoughts...