It's Not About Me

St. Therese Church, Newport City

I was in church and got to reflect about a lot of things. Among them was about my kids. 

In the past two Saturdays, I got their 2nd quarter grades and I was happy that the marks have improved despite the lack of guidance.  During workdays, I get home past 8 in the evening if I'm lucky. Otherwise, I'd be home by 9ish. By this time, either the kids have done their homework or have gone to sleep. 

I'm glad that my husband can be there with them. But you see, it's still different when moms are there to guide the kids. In fact, my younger son, Rago, really waits for me if he has assignments he cannot handle. I'm also happy that my kids are responsible enough to do their homework even without my prompting. Doing homework and studying are two different things, though. 

I wish there were more time for them to study, and to study with me. 

That is not that the case. To push it would only cause frustration. Still, I can't help thinking that they could have performed better had I been there with them to study. I know the capabilities of my children. I know they can excel.

Looking back when I was a student, well, I didn't have anyone to study with, too. I was on my own. From pre-school to grade school to high school, I was an achiever. I have academics and extra curricular activities. I was always part of this and that. LOL... I survived university with my parents far away in Iligan, and I was in Diliman. But I did OK. I got good grades, I excelled. I wish my children would do the same, would work as hard. I wish they were like me. I wish they would have all the accolades that they could get. I wish they were popular in school academically... like I was.

The church bell snapped me out of it. It's not about me... anymore.

It's about them. It's their life, and they have to carve their own destiny.

What I needed to do is to be there with them, for them. I just needed to work harder, give them better guidance, and pray to God, they will do good, be good persons, and have a better life.

Yes, it's not about me... it's not about my future. I'm living in my future now. It's time for me to walk with my children to realize their future.


Posted by Meikah Ybañez-Delid
Like this post? Subscribe here.
Be social and click on the icons below.

6 comments

  1. Social media can open up a whole new world talaga for a user and one of its greatest joys is being able to commune with like-minded people. I agree with what you said, it's really up to the user to assess what or what not to post. In the end naman kasi, we should only post something to the extent we are comfortable in, taking into consideration of course yung mga taong involved sa posts natin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true Mich! Ha ha... In any case, we just play it by ear. ;))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about "having a support group", sometimes kasi we need advise from other people on how to overcome problems especially in raising our kids. About the post in FB or any social media, I'm guilty with that, kasi I'm so excited to share everything buti nalang andyan si hubby and nagsasabi na wag ipost yung mga ganyan, or piliin ko daw ang ipopost ko.. There are times pa nga na nagagalit sya sa akin kc post ako ng post sa fb eh. Sabi ko naman, don't worry, naka restrict naman yun sa iba. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I super agree on this post. Sometimes too, I stop and think if I'm sharing too much on my social media accounts and the blog. I have a 9month old baby who can't complain so I am worried that I'm exploiting her. So I always stop and think before I click. :) Most of the time, I do late posts. Security-wise I learned that from Kris Aquino. Post the events atleast 2 hours pagka-alis mo dun sa place. So you are long gone before the people would know. Hehehehe! Or sometimes, if I really need to post what I'm doing that time, I don't post where I am. Ang paranoid? Feeling Kris Aquino? Hahaha! Anyway, I also love the support groups. Now everything you need to know is at the tip of your fingertips. Pero minsan din too much info naman. Ke-gulo. Dapat nga ang mga magulang ngayon, mature at matalino. :)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts...