Fur Elise to Moonlight Sonata and Life Happens


I was pleasantly surprised (trans. happy) when I launched my Chrome browser today and I saw this doodle. 

Ludwig van Beethoven is one of my favorite composers. Although, I grew up listening to Mozart most of the time because my father would listen to him every time he would be doing his plates, Beethoven has always been my choice of music when I wanted to just chill.

In fact, when I was a student of piano, I got to play "Fur Elise," and had as my recital piece the "Moonlight Sonata." 

Indulge me while I go down memory lane looking at these photos.


There! Excuse my bangs, ok? Ha ha! 

Don't I look so serious in those photos? Well, there's a story behind it. 

I didn't really enjoy going to my piano lessons. My parents had to drag me to the classes, and the Ms. Obedient in me would oblige every time. But I remember I felt terrible the whole time. I don't know why! Grrr! I should be happy, my parents sent me to music school, right? Oh well, I finished till Grade 3 of piano lessons, what do you say? 

Which brings me back to an article I read somewhere about parenting. At one point in a child's growing years, parents really have to force them to do something. It presupposes, of course, that this something is for the child's own good, like taking up a hobby, or learning a new skill. A child cannot always have his way. 

Had my parents not been firm about me taking piano lessons, I would have regretted not knowing how to play the piano or even just read musical notes. I learned to play the guitar on my own. 

I'm guilty about not doing that part about forcing children to take on a hobby, though, especially learning to play a musical instrument. 

No matter how hard I cajole, convince Gabo and Rago to study piano or guitar. They refuse. But when I told them to enroll in basketball camp and swimming clinics, they happily obliged, though it was only Gabo who finished the lessons. 

Rago, the younger one, always resists. Both he and Gabo enrolled in swimming, but he didn't listen to the teacher, still he learned how to swim a little. We observe him to be fond of singing and doing art work. We encourage him to take up art and voice lessons, but he won't. 

I guess children are different these days. Or are they?

I just observe that we parents need to make alalay (loose translation: gentle guiding) lang, and push the buttons on a case to case basis. It's like you're playing tug of war or holding the reins of a horse carriage. You pull, tighten, and loosen the rope/reins on the right situations. If you push too hard, they resist. If you loosen up, they let loose also.

What my husband and I do is try to strike a balance. Show them what is good or better and what is not. We encourage talking, sharing, and openness at home. Although, I still feel, I should have pushed them harder before during their younger years. But then, that was also the time that I was busy building a corporate career, which I would eventually give up (naman pala). Sigh.

I am still happy that despite what we call our brand of gentle parenting, I hear that my kids feel the pressure of doing good in school or anything that they decide to do. A co-mom once shared with me, how Gabo was telling her that if I had my way, I would want him to excel in academics and basketball. "Which is tall order," Gabo would tell us. 

Well, I am careful in pushing their limits. Because what I don't want to happen is for them to feel that no matter what they do, it's never good enough for us. 

For now, I am glad that already at this time they have big dreams, and that they are pretty sure about it. They already know what they wanted to happen to them in the future. And my husband and I are happy that we are part of their plans, even way into their married lives. Oh yeah? Ha ha! 

So from "Fur Elise" to "Moonlight Sonata," our life happens. Our children's lives are underway. 


Like what you're reading? Subscribe here.

Let's stay connected.
MEIKaH on Facebook
MEIKah on Twitter
MEIKah on Instagram

Be social and click on the icons below.

15 comments

  1. Awww this is a really nice reflection mommy. It's a good thing you were able to keep your old recital photos... Who knows it might help convince them someday.. I also wanted to expose my daughter to music as early as now that she's only 2, I think she has it in her naman.. The willingness. Coz she loves to perform and actually enjoys jamming with me w my ukulele.. She would always insist on putting a shades before we sing and then bangs her gead as I start with the intro... Feeling cool... kulit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the perfect age to start molding her. Give her a firm soft push, Jen. Because she will appreciate it later on in life. :)

      Delete
  2. Guiding our children in their life's plan is truly challenging. I have teen-aged kids and you're right when you say the magic word- alalay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, same here, Mean. I have teenagers, too. And 2 boys pa! Ha ha... We really have to be in tuned with their needs and concerns. Pero kaya natin yan... push lang! :))

      Delete
  3. Wow.. all that sparked from google's latest doodle and game! Did you even try the game out? hihi.. as for your "brand" of parenting, I think you're spot on with trying to strike a balance and knowing when to tighten or loosen the reigns.. I mean, me growing up in a strict and disciplinary measure, with the occasional palo thrown in made me just a bit more rebellious than my other peers.

    I'm hoping that I get to balance the reigns properly when my kids become older later on... (they're only 2 and 4 years old kasi now hehe)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. Ha ha may hugot ba Nicole? Am sure you will do great with your kids. ;) Yes, I tried the puzzle game, and it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son used to be in a taekwondo class before until an accident happened four years ago. after that, he became aloof. I push him still to try other sports club much to his dismay. you're right. As parents we should make alalay lang and not push them to something they dont like. Now, I dont bother him with sports club and he has become more open with his feelings. Thank God.

    Btw, he also plays piano. And he plays "Pananagutan" very well in Church and I am just so proud of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, alalay lang talaga, and more sensitivity to what they really enjoy doing. And I can see he enjoys performing in Church. That's good! :)

      Delete
  6. I remembered my mom is always forcing me to learn how to play music instruments. I got to learn the lyre and flute and also tried organ but I only knew the simple notes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha so you had experienced dragging yourself to those lessons, Neri! ;) But we now know the value of that.

      Delete
  7. My children are still young, ages 4 and 2, but I've been thinking about enrolling them in enrichment classes or extra curricular activities... I agree that it is important to guide them through their interests. At a young age, my son shows interest in drawing while my little girl in dancing... but who knows, it might be too early to tell :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, just observe them some more, mommy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess I'm lucky my daughter wanted to learn the guitar on her own... however it's my son who doesn't have any hobbies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good! :) So what does your son do? Baka nerd lang... hehe

      Delete

Share your thoughts...