How to Deal with Dengue

Source: http://www.slideshare.net/pramodkrisshna10/dengue-28734649

Strike 2. My younger son got the dengue fever five years ago. And just a couple of weeks ago, my elder son got it, too.

As I've labeled it in my post in my now defunct blog, mamaisworking, I say it again that dengue is evil. It keeps you waiting in fear, like waiting for the axe to fall on you anytime and just cut your head off.

It started when Gabo had high-grade fever running up to 39-40.1 centigrade for 24 hours. There was no letup, even though we had given him paracetamol and a sponge bath. He would perspire but still his temperature would remain high. I didn't sleep that night. As soon as the sun rose, we took him to Commcare Merville for a NS 1 test. When the doc said that the results were positive for dengue, I felt something cold run down my body from my head to my feet. Although, his platelet was still high at 270+, we knew that the numbers would go down as soon as his temp would go down, too. I knew the days ahead would be filled with anxiety.

Meanwhile, we had to do what we gotta do: manage his fever. Good thing, my sister-in-law-nurse (Regie) was in town and I have a pedia-niece (Doc Dee). We decided to do the managing at home. Taking instructions from my pedia-niece, my sis-in-law-nurse put IV on Gab and manage his fluid intake and temperature.

We were told that dengue fever has no cure except to feed your body with lots of fluid and food. So that was what we did. For four days, Gab's fever would go up and down from 38 to 39. It was 4 long nights and days, as we had to regularly give him cold sponge baths, force him to drink fluids, and eat!

Then on the fifth day, Gab's temperature finally went down to 36 point something centigrade. Then he had nosebleed. He often gets nosebleed but because he had dengue, it was a very important indicator.

We rushed him to the ER of Paranaque Doctors and true enough his platelets dived to 42 from 247 (Normal 150-200+) along with his WBC to 1.5 (normal: 5+). We couldn't be admitted, however, as there was no available room. We were 7th on the waiting list. The doctor said that they were full of patients with dengue fever, too. Oh my!

After discussion and consultation with Regie and Doc Dee, we decided to take Gabo to PGH (Philippine General Hospital) for Doc Dee is based there anyway. She could look after Gab better. So, off we went in an ambulance as we anticipated the traffic. It was my first time and Gabo's too to take the ambulance. Gabo felt A-OK now because he had no more fever, and thankfully, he didn't feel any pain. His vitals were normal too. I asked how he was and he said that he was both scared and curious as to how it would feel to be in an ambulance. Me? I was shaken the whole time.

At PGH, we were met by Doc Dee at the Pedia ER and was immediately wheeled to Admitting. After less than an hour, we were transferred to our double private room. You know PGH is also full all the time, but we were lucky to get that space. I was happy, too, that our roommate's (a 1-year-old child who was suffering from diarrhea and vomiting) grandparents were retirees from PGH. So our room was always given extra care. In fact, the faucets of our comfort room were fixed because the maintenance people knew Mang Mike. Ha ha!

I can laugh about it now.

But really, how to deal with dengue is to feed the patient lots of fluids and food. There are no medicines. Seeing no harm if we did, we also let him drink tawa tawa and papaya juice. A friend and a co-mom in school gave me this tip:

10 pcs of 1 foot each stalk of tawa tawa
Boil in half liter of water for morning

1 big leaf of papaya (better papaya flower) 

Boil in half liter of water for evening

And most importantly surrender to God everything.

I enjoined prayer warriors to include Gabo in their prayers. I also had this prayer book tucked in my wallet all this time, and when I flipped it open, I saw on the first few pages this prayer:

Novena in Urgent Need to the Infant Jesus of Prague
To be said at the same time for nine consecutive hours, or for nine days

O JESUS, who have said, "Ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find, knock and it shall be opened to you," through the intercession of Mary, your most holy Mother, I knock, I seek, I ask that my prayer be granted.

Mention your request 

O JESUS, who have said, "All that you ask of the Father in my Name, he will grant you," through the intercession of Mary, your most holy Mother, I humbly and urgently ask the Father in your Name that my prayer be granted.

Mention your request

O JESUS, who have said, "Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my word shall not pass," through the intercession of Mary, your most holy Mother, I feel confident that my prayer will be granted.

Mention your request

From 42, Gabo's platelet went up to 48 and then to 145. And on our 2nd night in PGH, I prayed fervently again that we (including the roomie child) be removed from the hospital the following day. Yes, that was how I worded my prayer.

Voila! The following day, we (yes, together with the roomie child!) were given our release orders.

Praise God! God is good! All the time!


Update

To help support your body who is recovering from dengue, I recommend to take these nutritionals.

1 pair after breakfast
1 pair after lunch
1 pair after dinner

1 tablet after lunch
1 tablet after dinner



Useful Resources on Dengue

Prevention
10 practical tips to be mosquito-free and prevent dengue this season!


Like what you're reading? Subscribe here.

Let's stay connected.
MEIKaH on Facebook
MEIKah on Twitter
MEIKah on Instagram

Be social and click on the icons below.

14 comments

  1. Madz • 4 days ago

    Thank you for sharing your experiences.A lot of people can learn from them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MrsMartinez | xoxoMrsMartinez. • 4 days ago

    Scary talaga ang dengue. That's ond horrifying experience, you are avery brave mom.Xoxo MrsMartinez

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mhaan Arambulo-Delos SantosNovember 25, 2015 at 5:58 PM

    Mhaan Arambulo-Delos Santos • 4 days ago

    This is one of the things I am afraid of. we are lucky none of my immediate family members experienced it yet *knock on wood* thanks for sharing mommy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aci Girl • 4 days ago

    a friend also said something about quail eggs, it helps daw too. Super praning na talaga ako sa lamok. sana magka vaccine na for it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melisa Centino SanchezNovember 25, 2015 at 5:59 PM

    Melisa Centino Sanchez • 4 days ago

    Mabuti naman may mga alternative na pwede natin gamot sa dengue na yan. Yes I agree na effective talaga ang tawa-tawa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jem Alvarado • 5 days ago

    When I hear about Dengue, it always reminds me of my two cousins. All the help I did was to prepare Talbos ng Camote juice which I published the health benefits at http://www.esupermommy.com/201.... Were thankful that they feel better after a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nilyn EC Matugas • 5 days ago

    I had dengue when I was in HS. Sabay pa kami ng brother ko. And yes, maan is right! Tawa-tawa (in bisaya) is what healed us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maan Laxa • 5 days ago

    God is good all the time! Back when he was a lot younger, my partner also had dengue. He just self-medicated with tawa-tawa and a lot of water. I don't know how but it really worked!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pearliza Paguio • 6 days ago

    This is a good and informative post. I once had dengue fever when i was pregnant :( and i never want to experience that ever again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. TheMissusV • 6 days ago

    I can imagine the fear sis! Thank God your kid is now out of the woods. God is good talaga!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucky you for having relatives that are Nurse and Doctor. I am glad that your child is now okay. Scary talaga ang dengue.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My friend's son had dengue a few years back and she boiled some tawa tawa leaves for him to drink. I've heard from other friends though that lots of fluids help in pumping out the dengue bacteria(?) from the blood

    ReplyDelete
  13. Drinking lots of fluids really help in flushing out the dengue bacteria (?) from the blood. Glad that your child is well now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great article... News about dengue outbreak in our nearby areas bother me so much, and working in the hospital years back, i've witnessed how a little girl died from bleeding due to dengue and it breaks my heart, i cannot forget that...Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts...