When My Son Goes to his JS Prom

I have a son in Junior High. When he started talking about his JS Prom, I couldn't quite describe how I was feeling. I couldn't believe I now have a child who goes to prom, lol.

I felt a glow of pride as people would say that I am raising a good son this far. It's still unbelievable to think that I am really a parent, a mother to this man-boy.

Excitedly, I asked, "So, who did you ask to the prom?"
He went, "We are paired by the teachers."

Huh?

With his answer, I knew this prom would be a different kind. True enough, the Juniors wore their class color, which is dark pink, and the Seniors wore theirs, some shade of green.



I hope no one minds I posted these photos here... :-)


Arranged partners, uniform clothes, rehearsed program, and parents are invited! Really a different kind of prom. 

One the one side, I say, it's a good kind actually. It tempers the awkwardness high schoolers feel at this time. 

Remember your high school, when all you do and feel is being conscious?  

I do! I would shy away from boys. I felt fat. I felt ugly. I was Ms Insecure. I didn't love myself much physically, so when two male classmates asked me to the prom, I declined. I could still remember till today the look of that boy who asked to the Junior Prom. He angled towards me awkwardly. With a querulous voice, asked me, "Would you go with me to the prom?" I think he didn't finish his question yet, when I mumbled, also awkwardly, "No." Oh my! I regretted not having said yes, years later, actually. But to this day, I still remember that boy and would feel sad about it because he was an admirer since grade school. Can you beat that? Funny, yeah!

So, my father had to ask a friend who asked his son to be my partner. It was hilarious, now that I think about it. But that son, who was good-looking but shy like me, and I shared a special bond months after. In my Senior prom, I went with my brother as I didn't like the one who asked me then. Hay! High school life! Ha ha!  

But I believe not one of my classmates knew how I was feeling. I compensated all that by being good in academics. No one thought I was shy then. I was active in all school activities; I was among the leaders, lol. 

So going back to my son's prom, yeah, I think it was a good decision to do it that way. I was with my fellow moms during that time, and as I sat by the bleachers, I observed every girl and imagined how she might have felt. I saw mostly awkwardness. And I understand perfectly.

I asked my son if he ever felt awkward or conscious, he said, "No. Why should I?" 

I didn't elaborate. At the prom, I saw he was having fun, with his friends, boys or girls, even if he is single at that time. To me that was the most important thing. 

Like this post? Subscribe here.
Be social and click on the icons below.

0 comments

Share your thoughts...