Through the Kindness of Strangers

Throwback Thursday #TBT | The Family @ Silliman University, Dumaguete City © 2010

First my father (in February), then my mother (in July) were brought to Silliman University Medical Center (SUMC) during the first half of this year.

Except for their doctor-friend, Dr. Elizabeth Heceta, who is the sister of my father's classmate, we don't know anybody in SUMC.

So, the first time I went there to check on my father, I never felt so anxious. I boarded the plane with my heart in my throat, and touched down in Dumaguete with super hot palms, as if I was running a fever (that's how I am when I'm tensed or stressed). In the ride to the hospital, I had to take deep breaths several times because my heart was beating really fast. Thanks to my aunts and uncles who met me at the airport and made my ordeal a lot easier to hurdle.

The second time, I was the same bundle of anxiety, mainly because, I always see my mother as a pillar of strength; never gets tired, and always up and about. She does everything! She can do anything!

It's really difficult to see both of them as elderly.

I was the sole companion of both patients, and since we were not really in our hometown, I couldn't get a helper to stay with us for the night in the hospital, or run errands/do chores for me. There was only me. If you know me, I always have a helper by my side. And so it was during these times that I rely on the kindness of strangers.

I would request the companions of the other patients to look after my patient while I get myself food, coffee, or supplies. There were always people to talk to, and listen. This was exactly what happened when my mother was in the hospital. We couldn't get a private room as the hospital was full house. Compared to the time when my father was hospitalized, it was lonelier because it was only me and my mother who were in the private room. I realized it was much easier to be in a shared room with two to three other patients. Anyway, the room was spacious enough, and our roommates were good, jolly, sharing and caring people despite the circumstance. We were just all thankful that our cases were not really that serious. I pray they are all better and okay by this time.

But yeah, when I was in SUMC and Dumaguete, I was surrounded by kind strangers.

The doctors, nurses and hospital staff, both in the pharmacy, cafeteria, and the cashier, were all kind people. They wouldn't hesitate to extend help anytime.

I had to arrange for my mother's Senior Citizen booklet as they were not able to bring it with them. I went to the Senior Citizen Office in front of SUMC and the man who assisted me was very gracious and very helpful. The process didn't take a minute to be done! He even gave me special instructions. My bad is that I didn't get his name.

The next kind stranger I met was the guard at the PhilHealth Office, still in Dumaguete. He made every step very easy to do and accomplish. He was even the one who walked my papers to the concerned people and came back to me with the accomplished MDR. All in less than an hour, or was it less than 30 minutes?! He also gave me special instructions to have the document photocopied and always keep the original with me and not submit it to agencies requesting it. Again, I failed to get his name.

But in every accomplished task, I would whisper a prayer for all those whom God sent my way to make my life easier, and the situation lighter.

This experience makes me believe that in every man, stranger or not, there is a kind soul. There is hope for this world after all.

#kindstrangersrule  


Like this post? Subscribe here.

Let's stay connected.
MEIKaH on Facebook
MEIKah on Twitter
MEIKah on Instagram

Be social and click on the icons below.

20 comments

  1. Hooray for kind people! They still exist! I pray that there will be more of them! And I pray that your parents will get better soon.(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Daniel, they still exist! Amazing noh? :) Thank you!

      Delete
  2. It really is difficult to see our parents as elderlies. : ( But thankful that through this ordeal, you were also still able to prove that there is kindness around pa. Not lang the sad news we hear everyday on the news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I hope they get better soon! Yes, kind strangers rule! We just have to really be with them because they're everywhere :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marie, yeah, they're OK now... thanks! :) I pray every day they will be ok.

      Delete
  4. I can't imagine my parents getting old(er) too. :( My goal now is to be that kind of stranger I want to meet, so I can help others who badly need my help in a particular situation. Thanks for your article!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this part, Shalene, 'My goal is to be that kind of stranger...' :)

      Delete
  5. Good to know that there are still good people out there :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Faith in humanity restored! Jesus shows himself through the kindness around us :) Great post mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its nice to here from you that still good peoples are there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. kindness begets kindness :) and you're very much right that there is always that goodness in every person :) nice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Despite what's happening these days, I still think there's kindness and good heart in everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have faith in humanity. I hope your parents are all well not.=)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts...