Go USTE


There's no stopping time.

I now have a Grade 11, who if Kto12 curriculum were not implemented would be in freshman college.

But Gabo is enjoying himself. Every day when he comes home from UST, he is always in high spirits. Tired from the commute perhaps, but always has nice things to share about what transpired during the day.

I like what UST did during the first week. The school gave them an orientation about being a Thomasian (already asked to know by heart the school hymn and the vision-mission, lol!), touring them around the campus called campus walk, then taught them the UAAP cheer. I don't know if this is customary, but that week-long orientation somehow implanted in the new students an appreciation, if not love, for the new school. That's what happened to him.

Even if he has to wake up as early as 4:30am because he has class at 7am and has to travel from Paranaque to Manila, he doesn't mind. He is always excited to go to school.

Well I know him. Gabo since he started schooling never wanted to miss school, never even wanted to be late in any school or other activities. I remember him crying when the school bus was late in getting him. He would be agitated and fidgety and would be waiting at the guard house. He would be mad at us if we are running late. He HATES being late!

And he is one who always wants to  be part of the action,  ha ha! Kanino kaya nagmana ito?

One time last week, he sent me and his father a message if he can already run for the student council. We texted back right away, "not yet!" We tell him studies come first now. Second is basketball or sports organizations, then perhaps leadership orgs. When he came home that day, he said, he would have won a place in the council! Oh my!

This week, they have started with their classes. He has good stories being that he is already making a good impression on his teachers. We are happy.  

Now, I'll treat you, Gab, like someone going off to college as you are now in university, and so go with these words:

1. Go with our trust. I remember these are the only words my parents send me off with when I left for college. I was a wide-eyed, protected and uncertain, even scared teener from the province  and going to the big city that is Manila. I lived in a dorm inside the campus and they ticked all the yes's in the contract. That is how much they trusted me. And that is how much your father and I will trust you. Whatever you decide to do, always think of our trust in you, and I pray you won't ever break it.

2. Take chances... prudently. In the past years, we've always told you to be careful, to not do this, to do only this. I hope you know the reasons for those yes's and no's. Now, we will let you slowly but carefully open your wings, flap them, and start to open them widely, and if you feel like it, fly!    

3. Carve your own path. You are in no way obligated to follow either of our footsteps. You have your dreams, pursue them. I know you will learn a lot about culture or religion, and may question some of your known beliefs and the status quo. We all go through that phase. But know that life with God is better than life without. May all our Sundays and every day when we hear mass or pray together make you hold on to that, especially when life's road goes rugged.

4. Bring the sun with you, but welcome the moon too. Don't expect life to be always kind and fair, but learn in every turn. Use the night to rest, to think, to pray so that you will always look forward to the morning. I remember my father saying that men are basically polygamous so that I won't see love and relationships with rose-colored glasses. For you are a man, don't ever hurt or use force on women. Live with love and respect. Make this your guidepost: Ecclesiastes 3:1-8.

5. Remember home... always. No matter what you are doing, know that a simple text message or a call, means a lot to us. If you stumble or fail, know that you will always have a home to come home to anytime, and we will be there to help you stand and make you whole again.

6. Go with God and roar!

We love you!


Like what you're reading? Subscribe here.

Let's stay connected.
Meikah's Web on Facebook
Meikah's Web on Twitter
Meikah's Web on Instagram

Be social and click on the icons below.

0 comments

Share your thoughts...