My Life Five Years Ago or So

Blame it on Thursday KPIs, weekly goals and the heavy rains, but today I can't help looking back at my journey as a working mom.


I remember when Wizheart asked me to marry him, my father said to me, "I hope he doesn't mind if you continue working. I don't see you happy to be at home and manage your household." My father knows me so well, you see. Ha ha!

So, even after I got married and have kids, I continue to work. You know what they say about raising kids that it takes a village? It's true and I thank God for sending reliable people as my support system.

Because I was armed with good credentials, finding a good job was never a problem. I climbed the corporate ladder, and let's just say I reached the top handling operations for an American-owned company. I am proud to say that that was the most meaningful work that I had handled so far because I was able to improve operations and had the employees find reason to do their work well. I felt really accomplished, especially that my admin team was able to set up annual salary increase based on performance.

While I felt accomplished in my career, I didn't feel satisfied financially. I was earning higher than most, yes, but it was never enough. Little did I know that I was already in the rat race cycle. 


Because there was quite enough, I felt so free to spend as much as I could. It didn't help that every day after work, I got to pass by 11 malls! Ha ha! And because of my position in the company, COO and Chair of the Board, the banks perhaps got wind of that info so they would send me pre-approved credit cards. Would you believe I had seven credit cards with high credit limits. Imagine my buying, which in truth, my lending capacity! It was crazy!

When that life got abruptly interrupted and I found myself working from home, that was when realizations slowly came. My finances dipped more than 50%, but my financial obligations remained high! I didn't see it coming. My husband and I had to do a major adjustment. I am just thankful that my husband was ever supportive. We NEVER fought about  money. And thanks to his very good financial management, I am now down to one credit card and we are almost debt-free. Our major expenses these days are home mortgage and the kids education. Wohoo!


Right now, we are living a less toxic life, thanks to the Lord. We may not be earning as much as we used to, but what is important is that we are healthy and we are no longer paying off big debts. It's true that it doesn't matter how much you make, it's how much you save. 

If you, my dear readers, are still living in that myth of a corporate maverick, think again! You may be paid  big, and that is because you are exchanging your time--and even your life--for your company's success. Yes, it's fulfilling to be handling big responsibilities, accomplishing somebody else's dreams, and to be fully made up and wearing nice business clothes... but with empty pockets? 

Is that the way you want to live?

Well, I don't like that kind of life. So, now I am continuing with my life, building my own finances, and fulfilling my own dreams.


Like what you're reading? Subscribe here.

Let's stay connected.
Meikah's Web on Facebook
Meikah's Web on Twitter
Meikah's Web on Instagram

Be social and click on the icons below.

0 comments

Share your thoughts...