Disrupted | Life in the Time of Covid-19

Day 11 of Enhanced Community Quarantine


Some comic relief for you. LOL
My Wizheart and me doing what we enjoy most doing many moons ago, to jam!


We are slowly adjusting to this new normal.

No waking up early to go to the office (in the case of my husband, as I work from home) and go to school (in the case of my children who live in the dorm). Everyone is at home.

When I look out the window, no activity whatsoever is going on with my  neighbors. No sound of car horns, no person on the streets, no sound of airplanes taking off and landing (yes, we hear them because we live near the airport). Everyone starts their day rather late, and life begins to stir at midday.

Churches are closed, malls are closed, only selected banks, are open, offices are closed, and only pharmacies and convenience stores are open overnight until the curfew is imposed later in the week. No mass gatherings, so concerts, conventions are cancelled or postponed. I was supposed to fly to Seoul, Korea in May for an Asia-Pacific Convention, but that too, is cancelled.

The puzzling and more alarming part is that this reality or this new norm is not only happening in my country, but worldwide! Who thought that a virus could stop the wheels of world economy, and endanger lives? Even New York, the city that never sleeps is empty.

Is this for real? So unreal!

When I first heard about the impending lock-down and then later on termed as enhanced community quarantine, I thought to myself, I only see this in the movies. Unbelievable!

I remember that day clearly when an impending lock-down was about to be announced by the president. I had to go to Robinson's Galleria in Ortigas to meet my business partners and clients, and I was hesitating to go because I might not be allowed to go home in the event that a lock-down would really be imposed.

I was cruising EDSA, which on a typical day would be really jammed, but on that day, there were hardly vehicles in there. From Makati, I reached Galleria in 10 minutes?

By the time I was going home that night, everyone was already talking about buying stocks of supplies to last a lifetime--panic buying, in other words. Me, who is not the type to jump into the bandwagon, I didn't go with the hype.

I was to regret this later in the week because enhanced community was imposed and the thought of going out and mingle with people had become a cause for worry. Although my husband did some groceries, it would not be enough to even last us a week. 

Another cause for worry are my parents in the province. They are in their 70s and 80s and I pray to God to boost their immune system and cover them with His  mantle of protection. However much, I want them to be living with me, they don't want to. Like most folks I know, they would rather be staying in their home.

So on our 11th day, yet the end to this ECQ is nowhere nearing yet. We end the day with a prayer and welcome a  new day praying no new cases of  COVID-19 would surface. But the numbers seem to increase by the hour. And these numbers only point those who have been tested. Our testing kits are not even that reliable, so there could be more out there. Both local and international news is saying that the healthcare system may not be able to accommodate all these patients.

Good Lord, save us!

Yes, our life is disrupted. But there is always hope.

If you are suffering from anxiety because of what's happening, and despair starts creeping in, here are a few tips:

1. Busy yourself with something that you love doing. In my case, I play a musical instrument--keyboards or guitar--(I always do this on my not-so-good moments), I listen to music, I listen to podcasts, videos that help me grow. My business also is still continuing as it is online. In fact, it has never been busier! I read books. This week, my boys who are getting bored (ha ha!) started playing ball, so you hear balls banging walls and floors. It's their way of coping, too, I guess.

2. Don't watch the news all the time! You don't need to know the countdown of COVID cases by the hour. Just know the details at the start of the day and the end of the day. Your big help is to stay home and pray. That's it.

3. Filter your social media feed. I did that with my Facebook and Twitter accounts. On Facebook, I only see updates of pages I like to get updates from. In fact, when I needed to check what my friends are doing, I would go to their wall; otherwise I won't know their comings and goings. Hi hi!

4. Pray. Spend time with the Lord. Now that you are not rushing off to somewhere, you can spend more time talking to Him. His presence is really reassuring.

Here’s some good news:
If you’re looking for hope and longing for joy,
it’s closer than you think.
Through Jesus’ resurrection, we’ve been given a living hope that anchors our souls even in the most difficult seasons.
I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.
Romans 15:13
How do you cope?

Do share and let's spread good news!

#ECQ11 #StayHome


Like what you're reading? Subscribe here.

Let's stay connected.
Meikah's Web on Facebook
Meikah's Web on Twitter
Meikah's Web on Instagram

Be social and click on the icons below.

 25 March 2020

0 comments

Share your thoughts...