How I Learned to be Techie



Circa 2016


I read Ai's blog post on How I got into Tech, and I thought, I could write a similar post, too. 

A woman of letters in the geek world. That was how I described myself before.

So here's a story (I think) I haven't shared before.

A year after I graduated from university, my first job was to teach Literature and Communication in a state college in my hometown. I went home because I graduated on the year when the economy was so unstable and the administration then was beset by coup d'etats. My parents thought it better and safer if I went home to Iligan. So, I did with a heavy heart. I really wanted to work and establish my career here in Metro Manila. 

While teaching, a colleague and a good friend invited me to join the Iligan DayangDayang Jaycees. I did! It was during our activities and projects that I had my second exposure (the first was in senior high school where we had basic computer skills) to technology and computer stuff.

Six years later, I went back to Manila, to go to graduate school. With all the paperwork, it's impossible that you wouldn't learn how to use the computer and master the art of online research. After grad school, I worked in a Korean-owned company that develops reviewers for Koreans who want to learn English and study in American schools. This was where I first got my exposure to online work and techie stuff. 

A year later, I landed a job as content writer for website projects and went on to project manage these websites. I am grateful to get this experience because this is where I got exposed to and got immersed in technology and simple programming. Then I got assigned to operations.         

But because of that exposure, I got into blogging (I started sometime 2004 as a mom blogger, mamaisworking, which got discontinued because I got buried in corporate work!), learned basic html, supervised programmers documentation, SEO, and the whole kaboodle. It became easier for me to understand techie stuff. I'm glad I am in this online industry now as it has become really relevant lately.  


Day 5 Minimalism challenge, Empty your wallet. Today, yes, I emptied my wallet because I bought school stuff for the kiddos. LOL 


Like what you're reading? Subscribe here.

Let's stay connected.
Meikah's Web on Facebook
Meikah's Web on Twitter
Meikah's Web on Instagram


Ⓒ 5 September 2021

Be social and click on the icons below.

0 comments

Share your thoughts...