4 Major Ways to Cope with the K to 12's Performance Tasks

The kids have never been busier with projects since the K to 12 curriculum was implemented. Suddenly, they have to deal with performance tasks in every subject because that would comprise 50% of their grades!

Gone are the days when brainy people are dumb with practical arts and vise versa. But it shows that those students who are more balanced - both good in academics and arts - really excel.

These performing tasks however can be daunting for parents, who scour materials to make into extraordinary projects. So, I thought of sharing with you four major ways to cope.

Plant cell project
Materials needed: styropore, watercolor, poster paint, clay, pentel pens, paper, printer

1. Start of the school year, create a mini bookstore in your house. I have started doing this especially now that I am working from home. I don't have access to bookstores unlike before when I could pass by going home from work.Stock your mini bookstore with the basic school and office supplies and equipment.

2. Be resourceful. I started collecting craft and DIY magazines. I go to thrift bookstores and choose back issues so I can get them cheaper. Plus of course, the WWW is one big resource of anything and everything under the sun, and YouTube is the best!

3. Be extra creative. Remember these projects are assigned to 150 other students, and if you want a good grade, you really have to be extraordinarily creative and artistic. The pressure! Actually, it is my younger son who has rubbed off the pressure on me. He didn't like projects that his classmates would easily think of. Ha ha! I am so like that before... very competitive in school. I wonder what happened! Ha ha! Anyway, so how to be extra creative? Research and research and get one inspiration from here, another from there, and put it all together and make your own.

4. Involve your fellow moms. Mind you, the help of fellow moms is a big thing also. You call each other and share tips, exchange notes, and even scout for materials/ingredients together. What's good about this is that you also get saving tips from each other.

Here are some of the Performance Task projects that I got to take pictures of.

Christmas balls made of shells.

Art project: Birthday invite stack project 

AP project: Travel brochure project

Science project: Terrarium

Math project: A brochure of tools for measurements

Moms out there whose children are in K+12, do share your tips also. 


Like what you're reading? Subscribe here.

Let's stay connected.
MEIKaH on Facebook
MEIKah on Twitter
MEIKah on Instagram

Be social and click on the icons below.

41 comments

  1. Congratulations on the Terrarium. I want to do that with my kids, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a nice activity to do. Plan to do more of these actually. hehe

      Delete
  2. Naku dami nga projects ng kids ngayon! As seen on my nephew and niece! Hahaha! Goodluck to me pag nag-school na little girl ko! Hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha.. pero kaya mo yan Coi! :) Alam mo naman tayong mommies, maabilidad!

      Delete
  3. wow, you are one creative and resourceful mom! kuddos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy! No choice but to be one. You know how we moms are! :))

      Delete
  4. wow, you are one creative and resourceful mom. kuddos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're very resourceful and creative. I love doing projects too. Hopefully, I can find time to make some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LadyAnne! Yeah when you find time, it's actually fun! :)

      Delete
  6. We do have a mini bookstore in our house and it's very effective if you want your kids develop their reading habits. Your projects are so creative too! Keep it up mommy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true mommy about bookstores at home! Thanks! :)

      Delete
  7. Stack on art supplies and magazines! Yan ang natutunan ko when they started with the K-12 curriculum :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We actually spent a couple of years with double the number of books for the K12 transition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And did they get to read all those books? :)

      Delete
  9. In our house, we have big drawers full of school supplies. That way, we no longer need to buy outside even for rubber bands or clay. Yes, making projects can be so stressful but good thing the boys are very resourceful and always game whenever we need to start one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Berlin! :) Good thing now that I am a WAHM, I can really build a good mini bookstore/library.

      Delete
  10. i agree with you, this K-12 curriculum is a bit more challenging kasi my kids always have these craft and artistic projects in their school, more than their previous years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, oh well... I only look at it as a good creative exercise to supplement their academics. :)

      Delete
  11. Ang saya. I learned a lot from here. I have a toddler so medyo iba pa ang issues ko. We're homeschooling now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun, really! But I know with homeschooling you need to have school and office supplies at your disposal,too. :))

      Delete
  12. I'm looking forward to all the school projects and activities I'll be doing with my youngest. My two teens don't need as much help or involvement so this will be a refreshing change.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's a middle-schooler in the house (my sister) and, yes, we do have a mini-bookstore at home, too! Some of them are for our office supplies, though. It pays to prepare at the beginning of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's really a great idea to have school supplies and reference materials ve ready at hand when you have students in the house :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i agree. reading & reference materials are always a must in a household especially with kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good job mommy! I'm excited to make our own when its our time. :)

    Mhaan <3 | Mommy Rockin' In Style Blog

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't know what I'll do when this day comes. I have zero art skills so I'll leave this to my husband. LOL. Great works :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will know what to do when you're in the situation na Ayi hehehe... Enjoyin mo lang when the time comes!

      Delete
  18. Whoa! Pressure! I'm not sure din what I'd do when the day comes! Thanks for your tips! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm impressed! And I love the mini bookstore idea. I guess I have to start organizing our stuff, thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shalene! Glad you get an idea or two from this post. :)

      Delete
  20. This is a really good read! I still have a few more years to prepare before my little one attends the big school so this is really helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you find this post useful Denice. Thanks! :)

      Delete
  21. i love all your ideas here and am planning to do a terrarium myself! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Same here, I want to do a terrarium, too, and Crate & Barrel has all those beautiful glass jars! Ha ha!

      Delete

Share your thoughts...