Ending with a Fugue


Mendelssohn's Symphony No. 2, entitled "Lobgesang," or "Hymn of Praise," is modeled on Beethoven's Ninth, opening with purely instrumental movements, and concluding with a finale for vocal soloists and chorus. Mendelssohn's text was taken from Martin Luther's German-language translation of the Bible.

Since the premiere was intended for St. Thomas Church, where the master of counterpoint Johann Sebastian Bach had once been Kantor, Mendelssohn chose to end his Symphony with a big fugue. 




When I'm feeling down and out, I crave for classical music.

I recall when I was still living with my parents, I would play the piano for hours when I'm feeling down. Then my father would ask, "Trouble in paradise?" 

He knows me so well! Ha ha!

Thought Bubble: I should get a piano. 

Like what you're reading? Subscribe here.

Let's stay connected.
Meikah's Web on Facebook
Meikah's Web on Twitter
Meikah's Web on Instagram

Be social and click on the icons below.

0 comments

Share your thoughts...