Freedom is My Name


I changed my Facebook profile photo to this today, the 1st day of June, to remind myself that in 11 days time, my country will be celebrating Independence Day.

I think we either have forgotten how to celebrate it or we didn't really know how to celebrate it.

It's a pity that we don't really celebrate or commemorate an important historical milestone as a people or as a country. It would be good for the new generation to have something to look back, appreciate, and never forget. It's also a good way to instill pride to each one of us.  

I remember when I was about 5 years old til tweens, when Independence Day was coming, I would see the Philippine flags being displayed in offices, establishments, vehicles, and even in houses. When I started seeing flags, I knew that June 12th was coming. Even just for the displaying of flags, I would remember the celebration of independence.

Independence to a country means free from being governed or ruled by another. To an individual, it means to have the ability to live without  being helped or influence by other people. In other words, the terms is closely associated with freedom.

Freedom for me is a complex concept.

How free is free? Is there really such a thing as a complete freedom? Does a free society work for everyone? But how free is this society should be? Is it okay to be free to do what you think you should be doing at the expense of another? 

I think, no one is completely, totally free. But each one of us should work toward protecting our basic rights. If we can do that, then each of us will know how it is to be free.

Well, freedom is my name. Merdekah, my real name, originates from a Malayan word Merdeka, which means freedom. A Maria and the letter 'h' is affixed to it to make the name sound Christian.

Because of my name, I have been conscious of the word freedom and the concept of being free ever since I can remember. I guess because of that I have always been viewed by my peers and friends as diplomatic. True. I am very careful about what I say. I have to think it over and over in my head first before I blurt it out. I am not saying though that I am the goody-two-shoes all the time. Sometimes, I can be tactless if the situation and the person calls for it. Har har!

Now let me ask this question: Are Filipinos free?

Not totally. Not absolutely But they I do feel we are carelessly free. We need some reigning in.

What good is freedom if it jeopardizes foreign direct investments and harmony?

Like what you're reading? Subscribe here.

Let's stay connected.
MEIKaH on Facebook
MEIKah on Twitter
MEIKah on Instagram

Be social and click on the icons below.

0 comments

Share your thoughts...