My Word Theme for 2014 is Home


I've been putting off writing my "welcome 2014" post because of the absence of a word theme. :) 

Having a theme for the whole year sounds appealing to me. Gretchen Rubin of The Happiness Project has been coming up with a word theme the past years. So as 2013 was ending she asked her readers suggestions on her word theme for the incoming year.

I remember, I did have a word theme for 2012, which was refocusing. I was reading the post and I realized that I was able to do 85% of it. Not bad! It was a busy year as well. We did a lot of travel, attended weddings and had to cope with loss. 

The year 2013 was a stable, quiet one for us. We didn't go out of town for summer or for any time. The kids had a basketball league last summer and so we couldn't go out of town. My kids are weird like that. They can drop anything for basketball or swimming. Ha ha! Then, I guess we didn't see opportunity or a reason to travel. 

In retrospect, we realized why we didn't spend for travel last year. We were being prepared for a big opportunity that came in the last quarter. It's still ongoing but I'm claiming it already. Di ba Lord, I will ask and it will be given, seek and I will find, knock and it shall be opened unto me? :-) :-)  

So, my word theme for 2014 is home. I will invest in my family, in my kids, in my home. Invest my time, yes, my money, and all of me. Naks!  

But seriously, I'm beginning to see the fruits of my labor in my children. They are growing to be respectful and sweet children not only to me and family members but to others as well. I've been hearing about their good behavior from friends. 

I also believe this is the right time to enhance their skills in doing house chores and be more responsible. During the past couple of weeks, our kasambahay (house helper) went home to their provinces for the New Year. We were left to ourselves to do the house chores. I was really happy to see my sons stepping up and being able to wash the dishes, put away their things, wash their undies, shorts, and shirts. I can even send them to run errands like buying stuff in the small grocery store in our area. They seem to be enjoying it themselves. When school resumes, the elder one, Gabo, would prepare their uniforms (yes, his and his brother's) the night before. He would put in one hanger their top, undershirt, bottoms, socks down to the hankies. For P.E. he would also prepare their uniform, socks, extra shirts, towelettes, and rubber shoes. Wizheart and I were really surprised and super happy! 

There are still a lot of things that they need to learn and be disciplined about like not needing any coaxing to wake up, eat breakfast, etc. And they can still put things aside for their own satisfaction, but I am confident these can easily be remedied. I already see in them the potential to be responsible for themselves. 

Several times, I would encounter other children who threw tantrums, who are disrespectful, so narcissistic, and I would offer a prayer saying, "Dear Lord, I hope I won't raise children like them." 

As I invest in my home, I would also strive be a better wife. You may notice that I don't talk much about being a wife here except during occasions celebrated with my Wizheart. That is because, my husband and I are so in sync with each other that we are just so OK till now... married after 15 years. There's still the respect, the trust, the support, the conversation, the laughter, the disagreements, the agreements, the loving, and the whole caboodle that makes marriage exciting. He he! This is the reason why having a home with him is so easy to nurture. 

Really, if there is anything worth investing in this life, that is to invest in your family, your home. 

What about you, my dear readers, what is your word theme for 2014? 

Happy new year, cheers! :)

This post was originally posted in my old defunct blog, MamaIsWorking.


Signature Fonts
Like this post? Subscribe here.
Be social and click on the icons below.

0 comments

Share your thoughts...