Food Friday: My 2nd Attempt at Chicken & Pork Adobo

#FoodFriday



If you're following this blog, you will know that my ever reliable Ate Tata is away for a vacation. So, I'm the woman of the kitchen nowadays.

I already cooked adobo last week. I used Mama Sita's adobo mix. It was good, but I think I was not able to follow the exact ratio of the kilos of meat and the mixture, so it came out on the salty side.

This time, I attempted to do it from scratch, meaning not using those ready-made mixes. I Googled some recipes and came up with this one improvisation, if you can call it that. Ha ha!

Ingredients

1tbsp cooking oil
1 onion, peeled and sliced thinly
1 head garlic, peeled and minced
4 slices of adobo-cut pork meat
6 slices of Chicken wings
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp Mama Sita's oyster sauce
1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
Pepper to taste

Procedure

1. In a pan, heat oil in medium heat. 
2. Add onions and garlic. Saute until limp.
3. Add pork and cook, until lightly brown. Stir occasionally.
4. Add chicken and cook until lightly brown and juices run clear. Stir lightly and occasionally.
5. Add vinegar and bring to a boil, uncovered without stirring, for about 3-5 minutes.
6. Add soy sauce, water, oyster sauce. Continue to boil for about 2-3 minutes.
7. Lower  heat, cover and continue to cook until meat is tender and sauce is reduced.
8. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
9. Add boiled eggs (your preference).
10. Serve hot. 

The gremlins like it! Success! XD

Like what you're reading? Subscribe here.

Let's stay connected.
MEIKaH on Facebook
MEIKah on Twitter
MEIKah on Instagram

Be social and click on the icons below.

28 comments

  1. That looks yummy! I also like my adobo with egg and a bit sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also cook my adobo this way. I mix chicken and pork since my dad is allergic to chicken. I also put hard boiled eggs as my kids like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a nice variation actually to have boiled eggs in there. XD

      Delete
  3. I like adobo a little sweet. So, I usually add pineapple when cooking this dish. My kids loves the sauce, so I make sure that there is more sauce for them. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yeah, pineapple would be good, too! Will try it next!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations, sis, you did it! It took me long to perfect my adobo. I cooked it from scratch with additions and subtrations in the past, but has now somewhat mastered the correct soy sauce/vinegar/water portions needed in the mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks sis! Grabee! It was a major production but am sure in time I can do it pikitmata na!

      Delete
  5. And it looks like a success indeed! I'm totally salivating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chicken and pork adobo is my quick solution to no ulam day. If i am in a hurry and need to leave the boys for an erranc, i will just prepare adobo. Learned my adobo recipe from my Inay, my grandmother. I will just put in one casserole all the ingredients and let them stay for an hour. Overnight is preferred. Then i will cook it in low fire. Yup, i also put eggs or sometimes quail egss. Sometimes, potatoes too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, didn't know it's so easy to prepare it. The first time just sounds intimidating. Ha ha!

      Delete
  7. adobo is also my go-to ulam if i don't feel like cooking for my kids =D it's very easy and doesn't require much preparation ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, didn't realize it's that easy pala. Ha ha!

      Delete
  8. I wish I can cook adobo without using the ready mix sauce. Hindi ako magaling magluto huhu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can, Levy. Major production nga lang. He he.. am just starting to learn myself. ;)

      Delete
  9. Ooh, we love putting eggs in our adobo too. I don't like it mixed woth pork though as I'm not much of a fan of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, mixing chicken and pork in one adobo is I think invented to make life easier. At least you have 2 choices na agad. Ha ha!

      Delete
  10. That looks really good!

    With vinegar talaga hindi pwede haluin kung hindi mahihilaw ang suka :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I basically use the same recipe although I usually make our adobo with more sauce because hubby and kids prefer it like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, next time, I'll put a little more sauce. :D

      Delete
  12. Nakakatakam! Lalo na yung nilagang itlog! Yumyum!

    Mhaan <3 | Mommy Rockin' In Style Blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. My husband makes a mean adobo and no mixes either! I am intimidated and don't even bother trying to cook it so I try pasta dishes and the like. Congrats on the successful adobo dish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, lucky you Louisa! Thanks, too... I have yet to make a pasta dish. :D

      Delete

Share your thoughts...