Repost: Technology, a Parenting Tool



Who knew that a parent away on business could still help his child do his homework?

This happened one night to us. My freshman high son had a homework in Algebra. There was one number we couldn't solve. I had to text the problem to the husband and few minutes after he texted back and said to check our email.

I shared this on Facebook, and a friend commented that she does this too with her kids, when she's out of town on business.

I first had this appreciation for email and especially chat or Skype when I went out of town for business. I was able to study with my  kids online. How cool is that?

These are times that we appreciate the value of modern technology, and how it can be a good parenting tool for working parents. We can now get  in touch with our kids, may they be away for college or even when they are already working.

I remember when I left home for the first time for university, we only had the telegram and the landline as means of communication. The tatlong bente-singko (a phone call cost 3 25 centavos) then was precious to us. In the dormitory, we had to line up in the telephone booth to make that call home. Oh, many fights ensued, intrigues started while waiting for our turn. LOL If you needed to talk longer, you had to go to a PLDT business center, and occupy a booth all to yourself.

Technology, especially the Internet, is not only used for communication, but it is also used for research. School projects are made even more interesting because of the onset of multimedia. In fact, school work is made easier because of it. I know in some schools, like graduate schools, they make their homework and announcements available online and the students can email or upload their papers. And of course, you have those online courses that you can take. This is what we call as e-learning.

I gathered a few links here that talk about the effect of using technology in education:

  1. Using Technology for Education
  2. How We Use Technology in Education is More Important than Which Technology We Use
  3. The Ten Fundamental Reasons for Technology in Education

Modern technology has really changed the communication and education environment. My prayer is for it to be used only for the good of everyone.


SMALL NOTE
This post was originally published in my defunct working mom blog back in December 12, 2012. So, I am reposting it for some kind of a Throwback Thursday thingy. XD

Like what you're reading? Subscribe here.

Let's stay connected.
MEIKaH on Facebook
MEIKah on Twitter
MEIKah on Instagram

Be social and click on the icons below.

0 comments

Share your thoughts...