Larena and Pudong

I am now here in Larena, Siquijor. This is the place where I spent my early years. I go back and forth from Larena and Iligan City, where my father worked.

When my father retired from government service, he decided to settle here in Larena where he grew up. He was born in Maria, another municipality of Siquijor. He had to come home to oversee the properties left by his parents (how my fraternal grandfather from Carcar, Cebu ended up in Larena, Siquijor, met and married my fraternal grandmother who is from Larena, Siquijor is another story worth telling, lol). My uncle, who was older than my father, settled himself in Manila, and had given my father the blanket authority to decide on everything.

I like going home to Siquijor, stay in Larena and visit Tulapos, another town in Enrique Villanueva where I was born and baptized. Tulapos is the hometown of my mother.

Over the years, Larena has become a busy town, with people and vehicles coming and going 24/7. It's a town that doesn't sleep, lol! It's getting to be busier and acquiring city-like characteristics.

Last year, the town soft-opened its version of a supermarket, called Prince Hypermart Larena. It's much like the big supermarket that is a one-stop-shop for grocery items, clothes, shoes, home & kitchen appliances and more. This Friday, August 25th, Prince Hypermart Larena will have its grand opening, boasting of a bigger space for shopping options.

In the area of the Prince Hypermart will be built the bigger Larena port area, which will house a more modern ferry terminal and transport terminal.

Last month, the Siquijor Home Depot opened in Nonoc, Larena. Folks in  Larena can now buy their construction and renovation needs without crossing to nearby Dumaguete or Cebu.

In the pipeline is another big market to be vending farm  produce and livestock.

Of course, there are already banks aside from the rural bank (PNB, Landbank, EastWest Bank and in the town of Siquijor itself, there's a Metrobank and DBP), a state college (Siquijor State College), restaurants, stores, Internet cafés, inns (which are often fully booked), and the old stores owned and run by Chinese-descent families.

I am sure there are many more improvement projects in the offing. And when I go back again in a few months' time, I'd see more improvements in the town.

For now, what I enjoy in Larena is still the old activities that stay till today. I appreciate the ringing of church bells every day, although already a recording since the old bell had been broken and has yet to be restored, before the holy mass or before every church novena activity. The bell will ring for one hour before the mass. Once the bell stops ringing, it means the mass has already started. I suppose the ringing serves as a clock also in the olden days. I sure use it to time my dressing up for church, he he...

The same bell will ring every 6:00 am, 12:00 noon, 3:00 pm, and 6:00 pm every day to signal Angelus and Divine Mercy. This will be heard all over town.

What I miss most about Larena is seeing people walking to church, to the market, and to events. I remember those nights when people all made up and dressed up and in high heels walking to the tennis court (now called the Queen Gate) to attend the town fiesta dance. I feel it was more fun that way. These days, though, people take their cars to anywhere, even to the nearest corner.

Despite the noisy motorcycles and automobiles every minute of the day, I simply love the place. It is actually home for me. In fact, I would miss the noise when I go back to Manila, where my neighborhood is super quiet, the complete opposite! LOL.

When Larena gets all modernized, my wish is for it to be like Pudong, China, where the old and the new Shanghai sort of faces off each other.

If you find yourself in Larena, you can check out these places.


Dumalaay, where you get the best view of Larena sunset.

Triad Café, a café on top of a hill, which on one side overlooks Larena bay. 

 Triad Café, a café on top of a hill, which on one side has scenic mountains. 


What I want Larena to do is preserve its rural ambiance and at the same time embrace some modern things. I think the foreign tourists would like that, too. So, Larena needs to come up with a brand (tatak Larena) experience that tourists would go back to again and again.

Read about Larena some more here.


Like what you're reading? Subscribe here.

Let's stay connected.
Meikah's Web on Facebook
Meikah's Web on Twitter
Meikah's Web on Instagram

Be social and click on the icons below.

0 comments

Share your thoughts...