How to Maximize Your Quarantined Life

A friend's tweet went, "Introverts probably don't mind #LuzonLockdown but it must be a challenge for extroverts. Wonder what their coping mechanisms are. Are you one? How are you coping?"

And then a friend messaged me today and said, "Hey gurl, how are you doing? You must be very bored now. Kasi alam ko, you're always on the go, eh! Ha ha!"




I was amused by her comment. Yeah, come to think of it? Those who can't stay home must really be itching to go out. Ha ha!

Well, I am not. Not to sound insensitive, but I am actually liking this arrangement.

The past years, I found myself more of being an ambivert (a person whose personality has a balance of extrovert and introvert features). I can be a wall flower but I can also be the life of a party, if I choose to.

I know my friends now would be surprised if I tell them that I love being at home. I really do. I can stay home for months probably and still find something for me to do or amuse myself. There are a lot of things to do at home.

Before social media or game apps, I would read books, read magazines, play an instrument (in my case, guitar, uke or keyboards) or sing my lungs out, watch movies, complete crossword puzzles (yes, I have plenty of them! I even subscribed before to the New York Time Crossword Puzzle, ha ha!), do coloring books, household chores or even just zone out! Now with social media and apps, all the more you have a mountain of options to do!

I am not bored, nor will I ever be bored being alone or by myself. And if I do get bored, I have my husband and and my two boys who never run out of stories to share with  me.



But then again, why don't we maximize our quarantined life? Instead of focusing on what we cannot do, why not focus on what WE CAN DO at home.

Here are my top three.

1. Learn a skill or two. I have always wanted to learn these three: jewelry making, paint, and biking.

I love jewelry or accessories, and I am always in constant search for unique pieces, which I don't normally find. So, I have been tempted to do it my own. One day, I surely will! Meanwhile, here's my attempt at fashion and style.

I am a frustrated artist. But I do love to color. I have a lot of coloring books, and this is one of my past-times when I was pregnant.

Yes, I don't know how to ride the bike. When I was younger, I really tried to learn but my parents wouldn't let me. They didn't want me to fall off the bike and get a scratch or hurt myself. So, I gave up! But now, I can just imagine how exhilarating it might feel to be on a bike.

2. Take up a hobby or two again. Two hobbies I really miss are playing musical instruments and reading books.

We used to jam and play instruments a lot. Since the kids left home and started living in the dorm, we rarely do it. On my part, also, I just couldn't find the time. But, tell you what? During this lockdown, I am able to play the guitar and keyboard again (Note to self: I should get a piano.). Our ukelele is borrowed at this time.

Books! Oh, how I miss those times when I would stay in my room and read and read one book after another. There were only two things I would do every payday then: Buy a CD and buy a book.

3. Start a home-based online business. Yes! Especially in this lockdown, I realize it's not good to rely on our work alone, which is mostly outside of your home, for our source of income. We have to have a back up plan in case another pandemic or another force majeur happens. I was talking to a friend of mine who works with one of the most successful chain of restos and she shared that they had pay cuts and they had to let go number of employees.

Yes, the most affected industries are the hospitality, tourism and transportation.

I just feel blessed that five years ago, I already worked from home and just two years ago, I started my home-based side business. Both are thriving despite the lockdown. Praise God!

So, yeah, if you are at a crossroads right now, and you are feeling anxious, there are things that you can do.

Start with a conversation with the Lord, and discern what he is saying to you. That is what I did, five years ago, and again two years ago. He showed me an option that is becoming my way out of the rat-race cycle.    

#ECQ45 #StayHome


Like what you're reading? Subscribe here.

Let's stay connected.
Meikah's Web on Facebook
Meikah's Web on Twitter
Meikah's Web on Instagram

 28 April 2020

Be social and click on the icons below.

4 comments

  1. So true, Meiking. I am too busy to be bored. Still so many things to do while at home, so little time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR! There are actually a lot of things we can do at home. Thanks for dropping by! :)

      Delete
  2. We're the same. I'm also a cross between an introvert and an extrovert; but, I've been working from home for so long that I've come to love home-life more. Perhaps I'm really more of a JOMO (Joy of Missing Out) than a FOMO (Fear of Missing Out). How about you? Are you a JOMO or a FOMO? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I think I am more of a JOMO, too. I believe if it is to be, it is up to me. Thanks for dropping by! :)

      Delete

Share your thoughts...