Homemaker



My nanny gave birth last Thursday to a baby girl (Yey, we're all happy to have a baby girl in the house!).

This may come as a shock to most of you, but I feel  it is not my story to tell, so I didn't write about it.

While Ate Ta (as we fondly call her) was pregnant, we looked hard for a temporary extra hand. We found a laundry woman but unfortunately she lost her mom so she had to go home to her province. She plans to come back, and we hope so she will.

Now, nanny-less, I have to take on the household chores - laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc. To be honest, I haven 't done any of these chores since I got married. We started out having two nannies, and when Ate Fel had to go home to retire and care for her aging mother, we didn't think of getting another one since the kids are older anyway. They can pretty fend for themselves.

I felt like starting from zero. I was fumbling in the early part of it - half-cooked rice, failed sunny-side up eggs, burnt spam. I swear, those are just simple cooking tasks but I failed! I didn't know what happened. I thought I had it all figured out! I really need more practice!

I did the laundry, too, and since there were stuff that needed to be hand washed, I ended up with sore hands, arms and shoulders. I have yet to do ironing - that will be tomorrow night - and I'm not looking forward to it because I know that would mean aching back, lol.

The house cleaning is the easiest task to do. But since, I was not able to establish the rhythm, I felt time was lacking to finish everything.

It is no joke.

I know I can get used to it once I establish a system. And if I'm doing it full time, I'm sure I'll be good at it. But for now, I'll be working too. I don't know how we'll manage in the coming days with this setup. I pray we'll find a good helper soon!

Good thing, the kids have no classes tomorrow. It's a holy day of obligation, being the birthday of Virgin Mary. And then classes are cancelled because of the tropical storm Ruby (#Hagupit). With one more day to figure things out, I'm grateful.

But I learned something new about my children over the weekend. They are good responsible helpers! All along I thought they were spoiled and didn't know anything. Gabo, the elder one, surprised us by preparing our dinner. He cooked the rice and the crispy fried chicken. Rago set the table and washed the dishes afterwards, and he watered the plants. Wizheart even cleaned and organized the refrigerator!

Everyone seems to be having fun despite the body aches. I guess because it's a new experience for all of us, we see the house chores as one whole project.

Yes, making a home is not a joke. It's not easy, but it is fun. You get a different kind of fulfillment.

For now, I look forward to the new addition to the family, our baby Julia (or at least till the father comes home from a 2-year-contract overseas work!) :-D

Signature Fonts
Like this post? Subscribe here.
Be social and click on the icons below.

47 comments

  1. How nice of you to let her stay with the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Running a household is so difficult! Yup. I agree get everyone in the family involved. Even little ones can help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stress is a big factor in getting pregnant. I remember a friend who was only able to conceive after 3 years because she quit her job. My SIL also, after 10 years, if I'm not mistaken. - edel

    ReplyDelete
  4. My SIL also, her MIL was stressing her out. LOL! When they moved out to live alone, she was finally able to conceive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very helpful article especially for those who are trying to conceive. Being a mother of two, you are considered a very lucky girl ; )


    xoxo
    MrsMartinez

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same experience when we started having problems with our helpers. Suddenly I had to do almost everything myself while taking care of a newborn (our 3rd child). I was just blessed to have a hands-on hubby and two daughters who helped out a lot. Good to know your family is on board too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. May De Jesus-PalacpacDecember 8, 2014 at 4:45 PM

    Haha, I'm a ''catcher'', too, which is why we take caution talaga. But I'm grateful that I have our three boys because I know of so many people who have had many issues about getting pregnant (as you say). :) Quota na ako, though, haha. 3 is good enough for us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That's nice of you to let her stay with the baby! We have no yaya/helper now for 6 months already but we are taking all the chores one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not yet ready for the second baby. I hope at some time in the future conceiving would not be a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Had difficulty in getting pregnant too for my second baby and had threatened abortion for both pregnancies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't grow up with helper or yaya so when I got married I did not hire one. But it was still a big adjustment for me because managing home is really not an easy task.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel you. I have no helper now. I am actually looking forward for a good helper. It's hard if you do it all alone but there are times that I really ask for my mom's help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes, kids can result surprise us when they step up and take some responsibilities off our plates! I'm sure this would be a great learning stage for all of you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to have 2-3 helpers since my kids only have 1 1/2 years age gap. For some reason, they left without even saying anything, which means I have to handle kids, the house and even my work. It was hard at first but I eventually developed a system. Now, I prefer no yaya :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can so relate with you, sis! Three years ago, I found myself with no nannies and no helpers and no idea how to run a household efficiently. AND, I had two preschoolers to take care of. It was a crazy year! Something good came out of it though as the kids learned to be independent and we bonded more as a family. :-) Oh, and, we've been helper-less since. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, I guess I'm a "catcher" too. haha

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope you can establish a system soon. :) It's tough work but you'll make it, for sure! ;) It's so nice of you to let mom and baby stay with you amidst all the housework. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Housework seems soo simple pero in reaity ang hirap. I hate doing housework din. buti na lang kids rise above themselves and prove responsible din haha

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, I'm positive I'll get the rhythm soon. Last night naman I scrubbed the kitchen haha... yeah, she's a trusted house member and I don't want her to go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, Olga... idol na kita! With toddlers around, that must be really challenging! Kudos to you! :) I'm sure you have shared some tips on your blog about this. Will take a look! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yeah, important talaga is to have a system so that we can follow and it makes things more manageable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes, it is turning out to be a learning experience for all of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yeah... sometimes we really need a helper din. :) My mom is far away kasi in the province, so I cannot order her just like that. Although she was with us when I gave birth to my two boys and stayed for a year.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It really is Mich.. especially in my case where I also work out of home. :D But we manage, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes, she's a trusted house member and I don't want her to go. :) If I were not working, I'd probably not need a nanny, too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Janice, support system is really important. Lucky girl! ;))

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yes, she's a trusted house member and I don't want her to go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I had the same experience after getting married. I'm not very used to household chores but I really put an effort to learn a lot of things since my husband and I are building our own family aside from the fact that my mother told me that I have to learn on my own because she may not always be around, etc. etc. Thank God I survived and learned a lot and I can say that all my sacrifices are all worth it. Time management is a big help coz being a mom requires a lot of multitasking skills sis ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh sorry to hear that... Hope your second baby is doing OK. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ah yes, you have to go slow... Take care! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hahaha... I know the feeling of being really careful in order not to catch them all!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks, Mich! :) I could have more if we were not careful, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Edel and Ma.Me... yeah I have friends who have trouble conceiving as well. One couple friend didn't have a child for 10 years but when they moved to the New York, they were able to conceive. Now they have 2 kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. True that, mama! LOL Good to know you're OK conceiving...

    ReplyDelete
  35. Yes, I agree, Ayi. And it's not only the woman who should be careful healthwise. Men should also take care of their health.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I observed that too, Ro... Perhaps, lifestyle?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi sis, yes God is so good! She's 11 years old now, thanks mwuah <3

    ReplyDelete
  38. Yes time management is really important... :) Thanks sis!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I hope you can find another helper sis, though it's fun but very tiring especially for a working mom like us. Pagod na from work then do household chores pa at home.. naku di ko na kaya yan sis my body will surely give up. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  40. I know right! Grabeee sis.. kaya nga eh. I really pray, we'll find a good one soon(est)! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I do hope you find a new helper at home. Doing office work and housekeeping would really make your body ache.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts...