Throwback Parenting Memories

I forgot to date this photo but I surmise Gabo (on the left most) was 7 and Rago (on my shoulder) was 5 here.

They loved being all over me then. They loved to cuddle, they loved to be near me all the time. They didn't have much going for them then except ask for food and toys. Their concern mainly revolved around making sure that they slept beside me, and go wherever I would go. We were the complete picture of a mother hen and her chicks, lol.

Well what do you know? They still love being all over me now.

Eight years later, although we now talk other things other than food such as crushes and girlfriends, hobbies and preoccupation, still the openness is there. And I'm glad.

I am happy that they don't mind me embracing or kissing them in public. I am grateful that they still open up to me about anything and everything under the sun. Oh, the time when they come home from school and we are all huddled around the dining table or study area? That's the noisiest part of the day as chatter and teasing, and laughter filled our home.

In this day and age of confusion hounding teens, I pray that this openness remains. I still elbow my husband every day and make him notice any change in our children. After all, if we are not careful and really focused enough, we would not really know what's going on in a person's mind or life, unless he allows us to take a peek.

But I am always careful, too. Being into the lives of our children, I feel we need to tread on hollowed ground. I don't want to be intrusive, nor do I want to  be too loose. I want to be just right.

Any tips from fellow parents out there are most welcome...

Like this post? Subscribe here.
Be social and click on the icons below.

20 comments

  1. Maria Louisa Mae P. MercadoJuly 17, 2015 at 5:14 PM

    Also in the same boat. I have teens now and it's important to find the right balance between being a parent and friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time goes by way too fast, both my kids are over 10 now and I kind of miss the days when they were much smaller.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got 2 boys also, ages 6 and 11. My 6 year old still tag along, but my eldest prefers doing his own stuffs and planning his own activities. I do not want them to identify with me too much as I am scared they might end up as mama's boys. My husband is a hands on dad, so he helps alot in raising the kids. My eldest identifies with him more now, compared to before while he was younger. He still shares secrets with me, but most are with his daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to know that your boys still open up to you. It means that your parenting style works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.You have teens already. :) mine is still 5yo and I can't wait for that time to come too but I guess I still have to enjoy those cuddling moments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My little girl is barely 5yo and I already feel nostalgic. I hope we'd also do it right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted the same thing for my daughter (she's only 3). Though I don't have tips for you yet, since I don't have teens of my own but based on personal experience with my mom & dad, it is way better if you're close to your parents as they are the best people to give you honest comments and provide unconditional love and support that you need, in case you fall.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope that years from now my kids will still be as open and as loving to me as they are now. They're quite young now hehe. You're doing a great job, mommy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no idea how to raise teens. My kids are only 2 and 3 years old. Hehe. Though I wish that when they grow up, they will still be close to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are in the best phase of their development where you can train them and set the rules. Be with them and show them love and for sure you're relationship with them will be a-OK. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Mommy! :) You know as moms we do our best!

    ReplyDelete
  12. True that, Donna! :) I am close to my parents as well, and thus I try to follow and apply the secret to my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sure, you can't go wrong... especially that you work from home and so you can be with them most of the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, Mommy Mecheel! Enjoy the moments and those they will not forget ever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah yeah, the boys' connection. I am the only girl in the family, too, hehe and I love it when I see the boys bonding together.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's right, Ro! :) We'll surely miss those days but we can't wait to see them grown up as well. Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  17. Agree, too, mommy Maria! :) By God's grace, we will proceed with caution. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm a bit scared. Ykaie is turning 8 and in a few years she will be a teenager. I hope she'll be the same.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sure she will be as open to you as she is now... you've laid the foundation already... :)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts...