A Tale of Two Life Phases

Charles Dickens couldn't have said it better:

IT WAS the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way- in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only. 
{Source}



It is the best of times.

I am working from home. My WAHM life started in June this year. I can be with my kids and family whenever they need me. I have control of my time and sked.

I can now guide them in their school projects and assignments. I am able to manage the household more efficiently.

We now have dinners together, which have become our talking session. Now I look forward to this time when they would talk about school, their teachers, their classmates, their crushes, and the bullies. I missed these sessions for one whole year!

I can now be with them in times of need or sickness. In fact, just last week, my elder son had dengue fever. I was able to attend to him full time and at the same time work on my projects even from the hospital room.

If not for the dengue, I would have spent the 80th birthday of my father with him. Still, the good thing is, I can go anytime now and visit my folks.

Yeah, the best part is that I can spend more time with my family as I have more control of my time now.


It is the worst of times.

My source of income, however, decreased in the process.

In my understanding that the 1-year interim would bring me the same financial rewards, I took the plunge and left the corporate world after 13 years. I was wrong. It was one financial dive of a decision that I didn't see coming. And it came at a time when we just acquired a new property and got a new insurance for our younger son.

It has been a struggle since then, and we have yet to recover. You know how it is with school-age children, and with a lifestyle pegged from a certain level of income. We have cut down on some things. We are coping yes, but it has been very challenging.

Slowly, I am building again my resources... this time from home. I don't know but at this time, I can no longer see myself in an office and strapped by time-bounded outcomes.

Sure, I envy those working people dressed in high-heeled pumps and shift dresses. But when I think about what goes behind those facades, I recoil. But then who knows...

I just turned 47, and I didn't really plan on semi-retiring by this time. Yet, here I am. Things don't always turn out as planned. But I have a God who is a great planner, and I rely on him completely!

Lesson Learned

We really have to be careful in making decisions. And yeah, it's true, it's never good to make decisions at the height of your emotions.

I know it is in my power to bounce back but opportunities have been nil so far. I'm praying that my breakthrough comes around soon.

Please, Lord, let it be soon!


Like this post? Subscribe here.

Let's stay connected.
MEIKaH on Facebook
MEIKah on Twitter
MEIKah on Instagram

Be social and click on the icons below.

19 comments

  1. I never tried the corporate world in my entire career and im still curious, but so far, i enjoy being a wahm, un nga lang, walang assurance when it comes to income. i have to keep my butt off the couch, err, more like glue on the couch para may pumasok. nevertheless, i enjoy my time with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything will soon turn out great. I envy you because you get to spend almost all day with your kids though =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pray so, MommyCharm! :) Yeah.. it's nice to be with the kids... :)

      Delete
  3. I agree on not making decisions at the height of emotions. I think good decisions are made when your heart and mind are one. I hope this decision is for the best for you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  4. While reading this, there is someone bumped into my mind he is a pastor he said, raising a child or children its like a planting a tree, ang paglago nito ay nakadepende sa alaga na binibigay mo sa kanya. At ito ay iyong aanihin kong maganda ang magtubo at pagbunga nito. whew! napaka-makatha :) But I agree in decision making we should decide pag calm tayo at nasa tamang pag-iisip para di natin pagsisihan. The more we havetime to our kids the more we learn and close to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grace Sarakbi • 2 days ago

    you're not alone sis. many feels the same way like you do. but you will get used to it eventually and fellow WAHMs like us can be a support group too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ayi Dela Cruz • 4 days ago

    Being a WAHM has its ups and downs. Just be strong and don't lose hope :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. lally • 5 days ago

    Hello Mommy! I resigned last March after 14 years of working and I just started my WAHM career last August. It is really hard in the beginning knowing that husband ko na lang ang mag work. My online work is just a sideline, but I'm still grateful, pambayad din ng house amortization. hehe! I always believe that God will always provide our needs. hugs to you sis! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. May De Jesus-PalacpacNovember 25, 2015 at 6:34 PM

    May De Jesus-Palacpac • 5 days ago

    Hang in there. Yes, God is a God who will never leave you nor abandon you. :) Hugs from a fellow WAHM.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maria Louisa Mae P. MercadoNovember 25, 2015 at 6:35 PM

    Maria Louisa Mae P. Mercado • 5 days ago

    Hang in there. I also had a similar experience choosing to work at home at a time that we unexpectedly couldn't afford such a change. It took some time to build up my work, our finances but we're slowly gaining ground. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mhaan Arambulo-Delos SantosNovember 25, 2015 at 6:36 PM

    Mhaan Arambulo-Delos Santos • 6 days ago

    As early as now I am contemplating to be a wahm, but people tell me its too early pa daw and I have to enjoy my corporate life. I was ready na sana but same as you, my biggest worry is our financial stability. Pray lang mommy, God will provide. God bless your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anna Plaida • last week

    I also wish to be a WAHM since I want to be with my son always to guide him but financially I am not ready. Everything will be good sis just remember God provides all the time

    ReplyDelete
  12. levy • last week

    I remember the same feeling I had when I left the corporate world and be a stay at home mom a few years ago. Pero nung nagtagal, na appreciate ko sya at mas masaya na ko now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maan Laxa • last week

    I can relate! I'm still working from home like before but I've made the transition from freelancing to full-time employment and it has reduced my own income. Expenses have increased, too. But you're completely right when you said God is the greatest planner because He is! Let's be excited for our breakthroughs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marie San Luis • last week

    Hugs sis. That transition is never easy. I envy you with your courage to switch from the corporate world to being a WAHM since I haven't mustered enough courage yet to do so. I have also been advised to save up before going into the transition. The best payment you get is that time with your kids that money or a great career can never buy. Hoping for your financial recovery soon sis.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used to be in the corporate world too.. for the longest time that's why it's been a 360degrees turnover when i decided to become a wahm. my priorities changed, although in loved beinga career woman, being a mom gave me more fulfillment... it's how you see things lang siguro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Jennifer! :) I am not enjoying being home and spending a lot of time with the kiddos.

      Delete

Share your thoughts...