The Best and the Brightest

Thank you, 2015! You were not an easy year, but we persevered and held on to the Lord, so we came out of it alive and even more blessed.



The Best of the Year That Was

Blessed by no less than Pope Francis. That was an excellent start of the year, actually. No wonder, despite the challenges, we handled it quite well. Pope Francis emphasized the importance of family, and dreaming with your family. And that was what we did. happy 

Prepared (me). I spent the 1st quarter of 2015 absorbing and learning as much as I can about event project management. And unlike the previous years when I had a team doing it for me, I really had a more hands-on experience in digital marketing because this time, I did it myself! Who knew that would prepare me for the projects that I would be doing in the coming months, years.

Decided. By midyear, I took the leap of faith and went WAHM full time. Now, I have more control of my time, of my home, and of my household. It was liberating, actually.

Actively blogged again. I have taken up blogging actively again, and because of that towards year-end, the family got a treat to Disney on Ice! Yey!

Purchased. We got a new house! There, I can finally say that because there is only one more step and it will be ours. But that is before we were surprised by Register of Deeds with a hefty amount of a Registration Fee on top of the 5% Transfer Tax right before Christmas. We knew about the transfer tax, but not the registration fee. Oh well, the duties of a citizen... And with all that pre-purchase property payments behind us now, I can work on making the house a home.

Conquered. And I can't share this sucess story enough! My younger son did not only make it to the Honor's List, but he also got an Honor Card. That means, he didn't have a grade lower than 87 in any subject. That is a big deal to us because he almost dropped out of school in his 2nd grade. He got awarded in Volleyball, too! As to my elder, he continues to be performing well both in academics and sports (basketball, swimming, and volleyball).

What's in a name? I got my name rectified. I have not written about this because it's a long tedious process. But I will one of these days to help others who find themselves in the same situation. I am sure you know about the Maria v. Ma. issue in names. My birthday certificate had only the name Merdekah and my baptismal certificate had Maria Merdekah. The priest insisted that my parents add Maria to make my Muslim-sounding name into Christian-sounding. Silly! And then I didn't know how Ma. Merdekah ended up in all my academic, banks, insurance records! The easiest remedy was just to follow my birth certificate, but then my marriage certificate has the Ma. Merdekah. No choice but to go through the process of filing a 'change name,' 'publication to 3 local dailies for 3 weeks,' 'hearing.' But, that 3-step process took 3 years to be resolved! Didn't I tell you? It's a long, tedious process! But all's well that ends well. Now, I am ready to see the world again! Universe, are you listening?

By the way, Merdeka is Malay word for freedom.


Hello 2016!

The Brightest... yet (because, Lord, I'm claiming it to be!)

Help. I see myself aiming to do active charity work again this year, after 15 years. I know this is something, we shouldn't shout to the world about but two family events last year reminded me that ''service to humanity is the best work of life." First, our nanny gave birth to her little girl at Fabella Hospital. Second, my elder son had dengue and was confined in Philippine General Hospital. I see from my own experience how these two hospitals give their all and do their best to provide excellent service, if only they are not shackled by limited budget.

Being a WAHM now, I can save up on transportation, clothes, shoes, bags, and dine-outs, and so I'll use that money to slowly pay off debts and start saving substantially. That's my goal for this year. In fact, our operating word for this year is 'save up.' There are just a lot of stuff to finance such as insurance, HMOs/health, orthodontics, tuition fees, and a little bit of travel money, and the list can go on! Ha ha!

The wife and the mom, and the daughter, too. The best thing about being a WAHM is that I can participate in my sons' activities in school or anywhere else. We are pretty much together most of the time the past months, actually, and do things together. I also get to do house chores such as cleaning, doing grocery, going to the wet market, and cook. Last media noche, my beef caldereta, carbonara were a success! I am learning to buy fresh produce and meat from the wet market. I can't handle laundry and ironing clothes just yet. It's too much effort on my part! So, I leave that to Ate Tata. Also, since I have more control of my time, I can visit my folks anytime I feel like it, or if they need me. I can be mobile and work anytime and anywhere in the world! *wink* I can now also start to work on my parents' properties and make them productive.

Embrace the digital world. I will be extensively working on mobile apps, and digital marketing, and I will be learning a lot about the human brain. Isn't that exciting?! It is, indeed!

Be my own woman! To borrow, 2015 Miss Universe Pia Wurtzbach's line, "Confidently beautiful with a heart..." Naks! wink I admit, I get feelings of insecurity, which I have not felt or remember I felt at any point in my life before. But the past year and months have rendered me vulnerable, having left my comfort zone in terms of my career. The adjustment from corporate planning to the shop floor has not been easy. But that's life. I just forgot where I put this newspaper clipping about an hotel executive who experienced the same. He left top management and was assigned to the marketing department and worked his way back up. Well, I don't have ambitions of going up the ladder again, but I want to learn as much as I can and excel in this new-found work path.

The possibilities are endless in 2016. I will get inspiration from DaySpring's rest, reflect, and renew.

"Let's trek into 2016 with a fervor and hope for what the new year holds! Let's seek and pray for rest, reflection, and renewal as we - through grace and faith - strive to walk according to His will."
So Lord, I lift up to you everything!

Like what you're reading? Subscribe here.

Let's stay connected.
MEIKaH on Facebook
MEIKah on Twitter
MEIKah on Instagram

Be social and click on the icons below.

25 comments

  1. Ang hirap nga to have the name rectified. Kaya siguro ngayon, schools really ask for birth certificate na dahil sa mga issues na ganyan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you really have to be careful with your name, and its spelling. :D

      Delete
  2. Cheers to you and your family for all the good things He has done! Wishing you all the best 2016 may bring :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers and all the best to you, too, sis! :)

      Delete
  3. Count your blessings and name them one by one. Happy new year sis. more blessings to come ang always praying for the good things :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The transfer fee ekeek also eat up our budget last Christmas.. ang mahal pala magbahay! But yeah, worth it naman di ba?

    Please do write about your name change.. I need to change one letter of my name too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it, MommyPehpot! Yes, I'm writing the draft now... Thanks! :)

      Delete
  5. I want to be a full time WAHM too! San kaya ako kukuha ng lakas ng loob? haha. My kids are growing na, and I don't want to be stuck as office work, missing their childhood =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pray for discernment, sis... and you will know. :)

      Delete
  6. Wish you a great year! By the way your name is so unique :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing the same for you, mommymadz! Thank you! :)

      Delete
  7. my MIL her name as well, her Josefa to Josephine! Tagal ng process talaga! hehe! Happy 2016! May it be more fruitful for you and your family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being a WAHM rocks! Have a great 2016 ahead :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year sis! May you have a good and fruitful 2016. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the new house! And a blessed new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow almost a year na pala since Pope Francis came.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you had quite a handful last year + yes, nothing tops being blessed by no less than the Pope himself! If I could i would've joined the throngs of people that day just so I participate.

    Yes,, looking forward to 2016 with hope + fervor! May all our plans this year prosper + flourish! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts...