What Makes a Dad



What Makes A Dad
God took the strength of a mountain,
The majesty of a tree,
The warmth of a summer sun,
The calm of a quiet sea,
The generous soul of nature,
The comforting arm of night,
The wisdom of the ages,
The power of the eagle's flight,
The joy of a morning in spring,
The faith of a mustard seed,
The patience of eternity,
The depth of a family need,
Then God combined these qualities,
When there was nothing more to add,
He knew His masterpiece was complete,
And so, He called it ... Dad

Yes, I say Dads are masterpieces created by God, and my father is one of them. To us he is a masterpiece because he has molded my brother and me with inspiring words, and not with the rod or restrictions.

I cannot remember a time when he clenched his fists and hit us, or extended his arms or legs to hurt us. I never even saw him violent and hit anything or throw something out of frustration, desperation, or anger.

He gets angry, of course! He raises his voice to make a point, sure! He would frown to show disagreement, yes.

But, he is always ready to listen and talk. Words, guiding and inspiring words---through talk or song---are his greatest legacy to Boy and me. In fact, one of our most fun bonding times is jamming, he plays the piano or guitar and we all sing along; or I play the piano or guitar, and they would all sing along. Up to this day, those words would echo at the perfect time when we need them.

Here are some of them:


  1. Into your life, some rain must fall (thus, I am better able to cope with problems or difficulties).
  2. Cuss words are unbecoming for a woman (this is why I don't swear at all. Or if I'm on the verge of spewing, I'd catch myself and remember his words).
  3. Men are polygamous by nature (so, I don't look at men as perfect human beings).
  4. The woman is the stronger force in the home (this has built my self esteem as a woman).
  5. Make your home a refuge (true - the world outside can go chaotic, but I have always found comfort and peace in my home).
  6. A man or woman who appreciates music is most likely a good person (so my best friend and I looked for this in our men, who are now our husbands).
  7. Rules are not there to impose but to be lived (he doesn't impose rules, rather he lives them so that we will learn and follow).
  8. Always follow your head and heart; not one or the other (in other words, always strike a balance - and I think I always do).
  9. The way you live your single life should not be so different from the way you live your married life because conflict arises when you had to make a lot of adjustments (true - my husband and I maintain and nurture our individuality).
  10. The secret of life is in the passage of time (yes, everything passes and you become a better person each time.).

Happy Father's Day, Hutsai!

We love you beyond words.


Like what you're reading? Subscribe here.

Let's stay connected.
Meikah's Web on Facebook
Meikah's Web on Twitter
Meikah's Web on Instagram

Be social and click on the icons below.

0 comments

Share your thoughts...