What's the Best Thing to Leave Your Children Behind?

Our two sons now much taller than us. 

In a few years time, our two sons will be two grown men. They will be on their own, maybe will still be living with us but will be deciding for their lives by themselves. 
 
Like any other parent, we think of some inheritance that we can leave with them and would help them somehow when they run into challenging times in the future.  

Well, we already have houses and properties, which we either acquired or had also inherited from our parents. Those will definitely go to them.

But, I realize, there is a more meaningful and in fact, far more helpful inheritance, we can give: be financially independent. 

Yes! If my husband and I are financially independent and remain to be so until our twilight years,we won't be a burden to them. They can focus on their family's needs and welfare without having to worry about us. Of course, I know they will still extend help or treat us to something fancy, as they would often tell us now, ha ha, but they won't be obliged to do it. 

To not have to worry about your parents financial needs is a big help, especially when you are supporting a family of your own. I know because, by the Grace of the Lord, that is the case with my parents.  

 My parents are financially independent. They don't have debts. The only time they owed something was when they were paying mortgage for our house. They loaned it from Development Bank of the Philippines (DBP). My mother was always in time in paying or even advance in paying the mortgages that at the last payment, they paid much lower because the bank gave them some kind of a discount. I remember my mother would always pay everything in full when making big purchases. 

Now that I have a family of my own, we mostly work on our financial needs. We do giveour parents cash allowances from time to time, and we give them Christmas bonus, too, but we don't feel guilty, if we don't give regularly. 

What we earn or save, we use that for our family alone. Perhaps, because we are only a family of four, there is not much to spend on. Also, we try to live within our means, thus, we are able to help out more if someone in the family needs it. 

It does make a whole lot easier to pursue our own family needs. It is even made lighter especially when you receive support from the parents ocassionally as well. 

So, my husband and I realize that the best inheritance we can give to our children is for us being financially independent. Thankfully, we found a way to build our funds and become just that.   

My dear parent readers, do you feel the same way?


 
#GCQ50 #StayHomeAsMuchAsYouCan


Like what you're reading? Subscribe here.

Let's stay connected.
Meikah's Web on Facebook
Meikah's Web on Twitter
Meikah's Web on Instagram

Ⓒ 20 July 2020

Be social and click on the icons below.

0 comments

Share your thoughts...