When Was the Last Time You Had a Conversation?


Wizheart and me at Chion-in in Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto, Japan

Side story: We went on an all-expense-paid trip to Osaka, Japan last January 2020. It was a five-day trip all for free--from airfare, accommodation, food, tours, plus gifts every day--luxurious, and absolutely unforgettable!   

I asked because I feel not everyone really talk, as in engage in real talk, these days. I see people seated together, but each on their cellphones. 

What I mean about talk is the kind of conversation that is focused--no gadgets, no books, no newspapers, no Spotify or Netflix between you and your companion. 

This pandemic brought us down to focus on the things that really matter, which is health, family, and togetherness. 

Some couples and families would share that the lock down did not only bring them closer but also made them realize that they can really get along well. Just imagine if you don't get along well, and you're stuck with each other 24/7 right? That would be horrifying! LOL. 

During the early days of quarantine, our family would dine together at the most during lunch and dinner and sometimes afternoon snacks.  Then days went on and classes resumed online, then my two businesses went full blast, we could only spend dinners together. Of the 6 of us in the household, though, I was the only one who couldn't join them during dinner time, because dinner time is primetime in my other business. 

I find myself eating meals alone. 

Until I adjusted my time and would have my first meal of the day earlier than I used to. Because of this, for the past couple of days, I would catch my husband at the dining table, when I would go down for brunch. 

I am glad I made the adjustment because now I get to really share stories with him. Pre pandemic, we would go on a regular dinner date and really talk about anything under the sun, or watch movies together, go to shows. Name it, we enjoy doing anything as long as we are together. Cheesy, you may say, but our relationship draws strength from that. We could talk for hours and enjoy every minute of it.

My tip to all couples out there: spend time to connect with your partner. Talk. Converse. Better yet, vary the topic of your conversation. Share laughter together, sing together, cherish each moment. That is priceless. No amount of success outside can compensate for that. 

I remember, my father and mother would "break bread" every morning. They would start their breakfast togther with my father taking one pandesal, cut it in two and share the other half to my mother. As a family, we would always share meals together, except when we were away for college, and until I left home to start my own family. But every time I would go home, that ritual continues. 

It must be really hard for my mother now that she is alone. But that is another story.        

So, back to the question. 

When was the last time you had a real conversation... especially with your partner? 

If you cannot remember, do it now. 
  

Like what you're reading? Subscribe here.

Let's stay connected.
Meikah's Web on Facebook
Meikah's Web on Twitter
Meikah's Web on Instagram

Ⓒ 12 December 2020

Be social and click on the icons below.

0 comments

Share your thoughts...