Of Goals and Spontaneity


At the start of this year, I said to myself, I won't make any resolutions or any plans. Instead, I will make goals. I read somewhere that a goal is a dream with a  deadline.

Yes, I like the word deadline right there. I only hate the word when it's about work, LOL, but I can't possibly hate it when it comes to my life, right? But seriously, if I have a deadline, I accomplish things, and I know I can say the same for you, too.

I remember back in January, my goals were these.

  • Decrease debt (all IOUs) which I incurred because of the sudden drop of my income when I took that leap of faith to leave the concrete jungle of corporate world and became a WAHM - but with much patience and self control, I am slowly paying off each one of them. Yey!  
  • Increase income - think and do all the "raket" (get as many projects as I can do, including blogging), and yeah, I am doing just that. One project is underway, and which is a good way to get my consulting firm rolling. 
  • Have the kids on dental braces - yes, this is ongoing
  • Replace old appliances and furniture (as old as my elder son, so that's 17 years!) - by the grace of the Lord, yes, we were able to do it by midyear. Woot, woot! I still need to decide to get a new gas range or get those counter top stoves. I guess that will have to be a goal for next year. He he... 
  • Replace old roofing of the house - yes, done, also!
  • Improve interior design of the house such as repainting, lighting fixtures, and other necessary repairs - this we will do in the remaining half of the year
  • Travel (local and foreign) - yes, for domestic, we traveled to Batangas, Dumaguete and Siquijor last summer and we are flying to Hong Kong. I am hoping to go on a JUST (Just Us, No Kids) or do an Eat, Pray, and Love thingy sometime October this year. OR attend alumni grand homecoming of my high school Alma Mater in December and spend Christmas in Davao with family.     
  • Spread the value of saving for retirement, investments and kids' education - I cannot emphasize this enough to my friends that without our insurance and investment portfolios, we would not have sent our elder son to a big university for his senior high. I said this because in the last three years (tough years!), my own income dropped, and we had to rely mostly on my husband's income. 
  • Be healthy - I need to lose weight, seriously! So I need a good, solid plan to achieve this. I need to be consistent, I need to persevere, I need to focus and be disciplined. I am nearing my golden era and I don't want to be old and ill. I have to start now, as in NOW! LOL 

Looking at the list above, I didn't realize I have accomplished most of them already. Wow!

What's funny is that everything was spontaneous in a way. Like when we replaced our old appliances and furniture, we went looking, we found what we liked and bought it. Same thing happened with the other stuff. There was no pressure whatsoever to the point that we would declare, WE HAVE TO BUY THIS and THAT! Well, it helps that my parents were here to help out and pay for some of them, LOL.

But what I wanted to share is that you can be goal-oriented and spontaneous at the same time. It works for me.

What about you?


Like what you're reading? Subscribe here.

Let's stay connected.
Meikah's Web on Facebook
Meikah's Web on Twitter
Meikah's Web on Instagram

Like to share this? Click on the icons below.

0 comments

Share your thoughts...