How 50 Feels Like

This is my life squad (insert my brother).

I feel like being loved 50 times 50 more, and I have been truly blessed, really.

The photo above was taken during my birthday (October 3, 2018). My niece, who is now my business partner as well, together with other partners, pulled off a surprise party for me. Super fun! Amazeballs!

Now, four months later, I look at this picture again, and my heart bursts with gladness. I have now a family of my own with grown-up kids, all in their teens and already independent, and I still have both my parents with me (mother is 76 and father is 83). I would have wanted to have my brother there but he couldn't. I have a husband, who since day one, never stops loving me unconditionally and never limits me.

Fifty years is something, and let me share with you how I feel.

Semi-retired

At 46, I decided to go home-based and joined a startup. Working for a startup is really exciting. You get to dabble on new things. The fun part was doing the crowdfunding, and then manufacturing the products and promoting them.

After the initial hustle, when it all settled down, I felt I had started my semi-retirement. I say that because the work I did no longer touch on corporate planning (macro management), but more task-oriented (micro management). 

In good shape

My first health challenge came at 38 to 39 years old. I was walking in Glorietta, when I felt suddenly dizzy. I had to call a friend to get me from there. Several days and weeks later and perhaps months, I would experience dizziness every now and then, and my blood pressure would be 140/90. It was my first time to experience headaches, but most of the time I would feel light-headed. One time, I was even brought to the ER for feeling really bad. I took lab tests and the lab results were not bad. In fact, the numbers were within the normal range. Then I would feel hot creeping to my body during the night. Little did I know that that was part of pre-menopausal.

True enough at 45 years old, my menstruation started becoming erratic until it completely stopped. Since, then, I haven't had any episodes of dizziness or hypertension. Good thing, I recovered. Up until today, I never felt any better. In fact, I am always on the go and I always feel I have this bundle of limitless energy with me. I credit my good shape to the nutritionals that I have been taking for the past four years now. Praise God for good, or should I say, much improved health not only for me, but for my whole family!

Settled

The same year that I turned 50, my marriage also reached 20 years, and my older son turned 18. These numbers spell settled! Ha ha!

For 25 years or so in corporate, I had reached COO and EVP levels, and now as an omni-channel retail strategist consultant, I feel that career wise, I have done a lot already. But as the saying goes, no other success can compensate for failure in the home.

Thus, I am most proud that I have a very good marriage. My husband and I have such a great relationship with trust, respect, and love. Marrying him was my best decision ever. Then our teenage sons are growing to be independent and reliable. Although, they grew up with nannies at their beck and call, they are not spoiled at all. What I am most thankful for is that they have high EQ.

Candid

I guess it comes with age that you can no longer tolerate nonsense. I observed that I have become more open about my feelings, more critical about things.

Wary

I can't believe that some people can say really bad things about other people one minute and be sweet and chummy with the same people in the next minute. Scary!

Not to brag, but when I probably say something offensive about a person, I don't think I can behave the same way with him afterwards.

I am now less naive, and so, wary about my interaction with people.

Fulfilled

At 50, yes I am fulfilled. My fulfillment comes from having a wonderful family and strong support system.

I consider my success at this phase is my children who are good. Not perfect, but good, responsible young individuals. I feel proudest of them when other people, including their teachers and the nuns, would come up to me and tell me that my sons are good, they are sweet and responsible---the best part? I get this all the time!

Purposeful

I know the Lord promises to keep us, to prosper us, and never to forsake us. He has been good and faithful to me. Now, I want to pay it forward by living a life for others--and that is to be a woman after the welfare of anyone who comes into my life.

It's not a good development but lately, I often hear people getting ill. So, I am making it my advocacy to spread the true wellness by educating people how they should properly take care of their body, mind, and soul.

Who wants to join me in this renewed purposeful life?

Like what you're reading? Subscribe here.

Let's stay connected.
Meikah's Web on Facebook
Meikah's Web on Twitter
Meikah's Web on Instagram

Be social and click on the icons below.

0 comments

Share your thoughts...